Monday, November 30, 2015

Thanksgiving has come and gone ...

It was a quiet day for me. My relatives generally gather at a cousin's home but this year everyone decided to fend for their own families. That left me with my cats and parrot and memories of Samson. I prepared a beef roast, mashed potatoes, corn that I froze at summer's end, roasted Brussels sprouts and red onions, and yeast rolls. My aunt stopped by to eat with me. A while after dinner, we had hot chocolate with snickerdoodle liquid creamer and cinnamon chip, raisin, oatmeal cookies.

After auntie left, I cleaned the kitchen and had to stop for a little bit of a cry. Had Samson been here, he'd have loved those leftover roast bits and mashed potatoes and all else. It's odd what will tug at the heart at times. I can get through more than one day at a time without crying then something happens and I just can't help it. I've had more heartache and pain in my life than most but I honestly have most difficulty in dealing with this. I never had to do anything but be who I am for him to love me. I know he's no longer ill wherever he is now. That I do have comfort with.

Samson after Thanksgiving dinner 2014






Miss Cleo after a bit of roast on Thanksgiving 2015

Mister after a bit of roast on Thanksgiving 2015


I certainly took no selfies ... that's just not my thing. haha

The weather is dreary and ominous today. These trees are right beside my house. I'm always concerned with the high winds that blow through here. I hope to not wake up with one on top of me. :-)



Did you get a lot of shopping done on Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Lowe's is carrying their Black Friday sales through this week. I'm going to purchase a dishwasher tomorrow. Mine stopped working properly in May. I look forward to having another one. I thought I could live without one but I just don't keep up with the dishes. I hate to have them in the sink and I keep putting it off then I get aggravated at myself. When I saw the sale ad I knew what I would be getting!

I did some Cyber Monday shopping. I made a purchase from knitpicks.com for a mug/teapot/yarn sampler kit with coaster and dishtowel patterns. Someone will get some nice, heavy dishtowels for a Christmas gift. The "dishie" cotton yarn from knitpicks.com is nice.

I hope you've enjoyed the holiday weekend and are now in preparation for the next!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you have lost your Samson, it's always a difficult time. So nice that your aunt came and enjoyed dinner with you, I'm sure it was a blessing to her! May you find peace in the days ahead! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LesleyAnn! Bless your aunt's heart for having dinner with you. We have been by ourselves a time or two, and it's not a lot of fun. I would have liked having roast better than turkey myself. Love the pic of Samson from last year...he had such a great life.
    Hope your week is great!
    p.s. I did get a deal on a new phone. Hope you get your new dishwasher installed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LesleyAnn! Bless your aunt's heart for having dinner with you. We have been by ourselves a time or two, and it's not a lot of fun. I would have liked having roast better than turkey myself. Love the pic of Samson from last year...he had such a great life.
    Hope your week is great!
    p.s. I did get a deal on a new phone. Hope you get your new dishwasher installed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy thanksgiving. we had roast as well, no turkey - my daughter will cook turkey on Christmas, the Lord willing :) no shopping here, but a peaceful thanksgiving, our dogs are gone this year too, my heart cries with you LesleyAnn - in ways we cannot imagine, Lord Jesus leads us through all the hard hard hard parts.
    Hooray for the new dishwasher :) and that we are never alone, though it feels so painful much of this life, it is temporary , though that doesn't sound so great at the time it is most painful does it...it really is temporary You are so greatly loved LesleyAnn and I am so sorry for the great pain...He never changes and He loves you and strengthens you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad to know you're experiencing the same heartache as I. God does get us through it all. Of that, I am grateful.

      I've tried to visit your blog but I can't find it. :-(

      Delete
  5. Thank-you for leaving a comment , thus allowing me to find your blog. This post touched me deeply. I have 3 old dogs and a spry young German shepherd dog. My dogs love me so much, much more than I could ever love them. I KNOW it is me they love because they leave their food to follow me ( and they're not over-fed) and any Labrador who prefers me to their food is a Labrador who loves being with their person. I am so sorry to read of your loss. I don't think I have ever cried as much in my life as when our family lost a beloved Labrador pup over 20 years ago. My heart just hurt so much. I sometimes wonder why that causes me such pain when I have lost loved ones too ....

    One think I remember to myself when I watch my animals is that this is the only life they have. It is a short life, and making them happy is as easy as a kind word and pat on the back. I hope you're doing well. God is so good to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about Sampson; it's never easy losing an old friend. I buried my first foal...old age, poor health and it was my last gift to her. Didn't make it any easier though.
    Thanks for visiting Thistle Cove Farm.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your visit.